Join the Board of Directors
About the Board
As community members and volunteers, Gay City’s Board of Directors use their diverse perspectives, experiences, and identities to inform and promote the organization.
Directors are expected to fully lead and participate in fundraising, community outreach activities, and strategic planning to ensure the financial stability of the agency. They are generous to the fullest extent they can be, not just with financial contributions, but with their time, leadership, energy and community/network connections. They truly champion the organization’s mission, vision, and values.
The Gay City Board is deeply committed to increasing representation of the communities most impacted by the injustices our mission, vision, and values seek to address.
We strongly encourage QTBIPOC and Queer Femmes to apply.
To serve the Board as a voting member; to inform the organizational vision, development of community and donor relationships, and procedures and regulations for the operation of Gay City: Seattle’s LGBTQ Center.
Directors are legally, financially and ethically responsible for ensuring the organization’s mission.
- Select and evaluate the performance of the Executive Director
- Contribute to a strategy (mission, vision, values, and strategic goals) that leads Gay City into the future
- Help establish the annual budget and monitor the organization’s finances
- Follow the bylaws, operating agreements, protocols for engagement, and attendance
requirements listed above
- Contribute to the financial goals of the organization in a personally meaningful way
- Meet with and cultivate relationships with donors
- Represent and strengthen the reputation of the organization to the public
- Serve on a minimum of one Standing Committee (see Standing Committees)
- Contribute skills, knowledge and experience where appropriate
- Promote and sustain practices and tools that will result in achieving a diverse and equity-minded Board
- Engage with and support on-going learning and development that supports diversity, inclusion and equity of the Board
- Inspect policies, procedures and decisions with an equity-minded, social justice lens
- Be prepared and open to learning and growing
- Recruit new Board members and Board Community Advisors
During a term, members may serve on the same or different committees, as space and distribution permit. Each committee will work to incorporate the infrastructure, programmatic, and sustainability strategic goals in their work.
Development Committee (board contributions and events)
- Works in conjunction with the Development Director on major events involving donors and community connections
- Plans and promotes Eden Garden Party, Give Out, GiveBig, and Stronger Together: World AIDS Day Breakfast, as well as the development of new events and outreach to major donors
- Collaborates with Development Director to create and manage board member pledge plan, and manage the completed board member pledge plan
Connections Committee (community stewardship)
- Cultivates and sustains the professional connections among networks (e.g., GSBA events and reps) and organizations
- Seeks out opportunities for board and staff interactions to strengthen whole organization connections
- Manages outreach to diverse LGBTQ+ communities to increase relationship and understanding of Gay City through board networks (e.g. create network maps that tie in strategic relationships)
- Prepare a mission moment for each board meeting (e.g. client story)
Mission and Governance Committee
- Manages recruitment and orientation of new board members
- Tracks board member terms
- Continual review of board functions, by-laws, and annual executive director evaluation
- Plans the annual board retreat and any ad hoc board retreats through the year
- Review financial statements and reports at a minimum of each month
- Report to the board monthly on the financial health
- Draft annual budget and adjust as needed for the board’s approval
1. Attend and actively participate in:
Board meetings, as scheduled (approx. 2 hrs per month)
Committee meetings, as determined by the committee (approx. 1-2 hrs per month)
Annual Board retreats, in-service workshops and other Board development activities, as scheduled
Gay City events, as scheduled
2. Prepare for meetings (approx. 1-2 hrs)
How to Apply
- For additional questions and inquiries, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.