Co-Chair: Brian Davis (He/Him/His), Administrative Assistant, UW Center for Health Equity, Diversity and Inclusion. Mission and Governance committee.
Co-Chair: Peter Mann-King (He/Him/His), Quality Program Manager, Swedish Medical Center. Mission and Governance committee.
Secretary: Jeffrey Kirk (He/Him/His), Financial Advisor, Merrill Lynch. Development Committee.
Treasurer: Greg Gibson (He/Him/His), Vice President of Strategy and Innovation, Capitol Hill Housing. Finance & Mission and Governance committees, Facilities Taskforce.
Domenico A. Minotti (He/Him/His), MSW, MD, MPH, Retired. Connections committee, Facilities taskforce.
Dustin Akers (He/Him/His), Senior Transit-Oriented Development Project Manager, Sound Transit. Mission and Governance committee, Facilities taskforce.
Fred Swanson (He/Him/His), Executive Director, Gay City.
Janell Jordan (They/Them/Theirs), King County Project Manager, School’s Out Washington. Connections committee.
Ronn Arii (He/Him/His), Sr. Technical Program Manager, AIM Consulting. Mission & Governance committee.
Trey Rabun, MSW (He/Him/His) Foster Care Services Supervisor at Amara. Connections committee.
Whitney Fraser (She/Her/Hers), Principal Scientist, Lodestone Environmental Consulting LLC. Connections committee.
As community volunteers, board members use their diverse perspectives, experiences, and identities to inform and promote the organization.
Board members are expected to fully lead and participate in fundraising, community outreach activities, and strategic planning to ensure the financial stability of the agency. They are generous to the fullest extent they can be, not just with financial contributions, but with their time, leadership, energy and community/ network connections. They truly champion the organization.
The Gay City board members are deeply committed to reflecting the multicultural and intersectional identities that make up Seattle’s LGBTQ community. We hold this to be just as important as professional skills as the Board prioritizes membership for those most underrepresented in our community to center and uplift those voices in our work.
All board members will serve on one of the three committees listed below. Committee meetings are held during designated committee meeting times or at a co-chair’s discretion.
During a term, members may serve on the same or different committees, as space and distribution permit. Each committee will work to incorporate the infrastructure, programmatic, and sustainability strategic goals in their work.
Development Committee (board contributions and events)
- Works in conjunction with the Development Director on major events involving donors and community connections
- Plans and promotes Eden Garden Party, Give Out, GiveBig, and Stronger Together: World AIDS Day Breakfast, as well as the development of new events and outreach to major donors
- Collaborates with Development Director to create and manage board member pledge plan, and manage the completed board member pledge plan
Connections Committee (community stewardship)
- Cultivates and sustains the professional connections among networks (e.g., GSBA events and reps) and organizations
- Seeks out opportunities for board and staff interactions to strengthen whole organization connections
- Manages outreach to diverse LGBTQ+ communities to increase relationship and understanding of Gay City through board networks (e.g. create network maps that tie in strategic relationships)
- Prepare a mission moment for each board meeting (e.g. client story)
Mission and Governance Committee
- Manages recruitment and orientation of new board members
- Tracks board member terms
- Continual review of board functions, by-laws, and annual executive director evaluation
- Plans the annual board retreat and any ad hoc board retreats through the year
- Review financial statements and reports at a minimum of each month
- Report to the board monthly on the financial health
- Draft annual budget and adjust as needed for the board’s approval
- Attend and actively participate in board meetings, as scheduled
- Join and actively attend committee meetings, as determined by the committee
- Attend and actively participate in board retreats, in-service workshops and other board development activities, as scheduled
- Attend and participate in Gay City events, as scheduled
- Establish a strategy that leads Gay City into the future.
- Establish the annual budget and monitor the organization’s finances
- Agree to follow the operating agreements, protocols for engagement and participation asks, and to do my best at either fulfilling or otherwise communicating any barriers to meet my commitments
How to Apply
- Serve on a minimum of one committee (Development, Connections and Mission and Governance)
- Review agenda items prior to meetings
- Contribute skills, knowledge and experience where appropriate
- Listen respectfully to other points of view and follow the board’s agreed-upon operating commitments
- Be prepared and open to learning and growing
- Represent the organization to the public and recruit new board members
- Financially support the organization by contributing in a personally meaningful level
- Meets with and cultivates relationships with donors