Established in 1991 as the Triangle Foundation, Equality Michigan (EQMI) has been working for 25 years to achieve full equality and respect for all Michigan residents regardless of sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression. Michigan’s lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) people are working to achieve basic fairness and equality in our state. We want to live in safe communities, take care of our families, and contribute to our social, cultural, political, and economic lives and wellbeing. EQMI serves as MI’s premiere statewide political advocacy organization working toward the achievement of these goals.
EQMI educates and advocates to change Michigan laws and address issues that disproportionately impact LGBTQ lives throughout the state. We do that by:
- Advocating for statewide LGBTQ inclusion and protections;
- Supporting pro-LGBTQ local human rights ordinances;
- Providing training and promoting policies supporting equal LGBTQ health care access and cultural competency;
- Defending marriage equality and LGBTQ families against religious exemptions;
- Addressing the need for “safe schools” for all students through the enforcement of state and federal anti-bullying policies;
- Working for the enforcement of federal laws protecting incarcerated LGBTQ individuals from sexual assault and hate violence and fighting against HIV criminalization laws; and,
- Serving victims of anti-LGBTQ bias, violence, harassment, discrimination, and hate crimes across Michigan, including uniquely vulnerable transgender communities.
Address: 19641 West 7 Mile Road, Detroit, MI 48219